Monday, September 13, 2010

Why I like reader feedback...it really does make me think.

For those of you who have let me know that you're having trouble either becoming a 'follower' or leaving comments, I have to confess that I'm clueless why it's working for some and not others. I hope you'll try again.

I received an articulate and thoughtful response on Facebook to my comments, and will respond briefly to two points that were made. With the writer's permission, I have pasted his comments, in their entirety, below the last post, so check them out; they are well worth reading. (I posted them from 'anonymous,' for lack of a better idea how to do it.)


He says:

"You write that it is hypocritical to expect a measure of tolerance from Americans that is clearly not present in the inflamed protests of other groups and countries around the world. Guilty as charged. In proof of my own hypocrisy (perhaps even of my own bigotry) I do indeed expect more of us."

An earlier post echoed this idea that focusing on the hypocrisy is kind of a pointless intellectualism or a useless tit for tat. Although the hypocrisy I specifically referred to was that of Islamic-ruled countries lecturing us on tolerance, I would certainly agree that it's not really the point. The point has more to do with my correspondent's statement that he 'expects more of us.' I like that idea a lot, and it really is an expression of pride in being American to say, 'I'm going to treat you according to this set of values, whether or not you to it in return.' As a philosophy, it's admirable.

I'm just not so sure it's producing results. I wish it would, but so far, the evidence isn't pointing that way. This is a simplistic example, I know, but it will suffice to illustrate the point: have you ever been a witness to a relationship in which one person was a tyrant and the other was the pleaser? If so, was it your observation that when the tyrant became more demanding and the pleaser tried even harder, that the tyrant was satisfied and became a better partner?

No. It works the other way, doesn't it? The more the tyrant is appeased, the more demanding he or she becomes. And I am afraid this is characterizing our relationship with the radical, Sharia-promoting Muslims. It's endlessly pointed out that most Muslims are not that way, and they're not. But as they're not the ones who are controlling the dialogue, not to mention wanting to kill us all because we're infidel Americans, it's hardly the most important point.

I think President Obama's intention to 'reach out' to the Muslim world was a good one. And if, as he assumed and Americans hoped, a new man and a new attitude and a new approach was what would improve our relations with the Muslim world, it should have borne fruit by now. Instead, we've had more terror attacks and attempted attacks on our soil, Iran now probably _can't_ be prevented from going nuclear, and Israel's enemies are circling even more, in spite of the fact that President Obama is unprecedented as President in the level of his support for the Palestinian cause.

If giving more than we get, in terms of tolerance or anything else, was working, I'd be all for it. But it's looking more like the more we give, the more they want. And where does that end? None of us knows.

My correspondent:

You write that fear of what may follow is the thing driving many Americans to speak out against the idea of a small church in Florida burning copies of the Quran. Again, I know for myself this is true. I fear that until we find the strength and courage to break old cycles of cause and effect then nothing is ever going to truly change.


Again, I genuinely admire the idealism of this, and knowing the writer, I know it's genuine idealism. I also agree with him. I think I was pretty clear that one of the reasons we didn't want the pastor to follow through was that burning the Quran absolutely was an insensitive, provocative, dumb thing to do that would have a predictable result. But this statement ignores the very real fear we have about what the physical consequences will be for 'offending' radical Muslims. Ignoring it doesn't mean it's not real.

3 comments:

  1. My comment on this whole issue was somewhat religious: I said to my wife while we were away that "God was having a bad week." It appeared to me that our whacko religious nuts were going out of the way to annoy their whacko religious nuts: we burn their holy book, they threaten to kill us (their usual response to pretty much any perceived insult).

    I have a hunch that true believers in God don't think God would want it this way. Yet, it appears that those who claim the most "holiness" are the ones causing all the problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "those who claim the most 'holiness' are the ones causing all the problems'

    You're right! Kind of ironic, isn't it? I can understand why a lot of people think that if there were no religion, there would be no problems, but I can't agree. I think the troublemakers would simply make trouble over something else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit I'm ambivalent about whether or not there would be fewer problems if there were no religion. After all, I wouldn't call Adolf Hitler a religious fanatic and he did more damage than almost anyone in human history (largely do to the "shrunken" world of the 20th century). Then there are the "Godless" communists who had their own reign of terror.

    But history is filled with religious "crusades" of various sorts who all claimed God was on their side. Maybe it's just in the human DNA to find a reason to hate, abuse, and dominate others who are different than you.

    It's certainly a question that will never be answered.

    ReplyDelete