Thursday, May 10, 2012

NC Amendment One passes--a follow-up

Wow, what a news day, yesterday. North Carolina passed Amendment One (defined in my last post as stipulating that marriage between one man and one woman will be the only legally recognized relationship in the state) and President Obama finally made a definitive statement on the subject.

Coincidence? Probably not. Although the state’s fourteen electoral votes don’t constitute a huge number, they could make a critical difference, and after months of reports that North Carolina seemed very winnable to the Obama campaign (with many visits scheduled, to that end) more recent rumors have been that they are wondering whether they should expend the effort. One has to wonder if the timing, partly, is a message to the base and to undecided, socially liberal independents.

The pronouncement was a gamble, and carefully calibrated, I think, to try to do three things: reassure and appeal to the two groups just mentioned, and at the same time, not lose undecided independents who are more socially conservative and/or consider the 10th amendment an important issue. This tightrope-walking consisted of voicing a definite personal opinion in favor of gay marriage while maintaining that it’s still an issue for individual states to decide. Whether this works or backfires is yet to be seen.

I am not overly critical of the political opportunism involved; Mr. Obama is, after all, a politician, and one who had to get elected and is trying to be re-elected by a center-right country. Obviously, Mr. Romney—who was against gay marriage, then for it when he was running for governor of the most liberal state in the union, and is now against it—will have to tread carefully here.

But what makes it such a gamble is the issue of his base. As most people know, turnout among the young and among blacks are critical, and there is simply no appealing to both with this. Young people will respond positively, but the majority of black voters will not, and will be very conflicted, as a result. Neither demographic is likely to turn out for Romney, but they might stay home out of a dearth of 2008 enthusiasm. (This is an unscientific observation, I know, but a black friend—intelligent, passionate about politics and issues, an intriguing mix of liberal and conservative who nonetheless tends to the former, and a devout Christian—had already told me he couldn’t vote for Romney. He’s not thrilled with Obama anymore, but would have voted for him. Now he expects to stay home.)

Thinking of this young man’s support for Amendment One leads me back to the vote, itself. As polls predicted, it wasn’t close—about 60/40 was what I saw. One thing did surprise me, though, given that the polling numbers were readily available. On Facebook, where the majority of my friends are liberal (or perhaps the conservative ones stay quiet; I don’t know) there was an outpouring of surprise, even shock. “Who are these people who voted yes?” one of them asked. I don’t know any of them.” One of his friends assured him they were just uneducated rednecks, so of course he wouldn’t have known any. There were numerous posts decrying the ‘bigotry’ of this vote, and as I pointed out in my last post, this is dangerous ground when people often want to paint ‘bigots’ with as broad a brush as possible, given that black voters overwhelmingly agreed with the ‘rednecks.’

There is a kind of insulated thinking here that hampers the efforts of those who opposed this amendment—and they would do well to consider it as they marshal their efforts toward repeal. When you only talk to one another, when you reinforce each other about how your own feelings are the only valid ones, when you demonize those who disagree with you as either ignorant, bigoted, or both, you lower your preparedness and your effectiveness. (I believe this same phenomenon is at work in the Obama re-election campaign—they have seemed ignorant or dismissive of the genuine reservations of intelligent, concerned voters, and have relied, unwisely, on the supportive coverage of a largely biased press, to the point where they have up to now believed the seas ahead were largely smooth. I’m not surprised that James Carville is currently trying to sound the alarm that a defeat is entirely possible.)

I should make it clear that I’m not saying it’s just those who opposed the amendment who should do more listening to those who supported it. That goes both ways. Those whose religious convictions are firm, like my friend, are unlikely ever to change their mind, but those convictions do not make him ignorant, or a bigot, or a hater. And some sincere interchange might change the minds of those whose concerns are cultural and societal, or whose religious reservations are more open to amelioration.

I was kind of heartened to see a post on one of my Facebook friends’ pages, in which one of his friends (who was clearly opposed to the amendment) seemed to be making a genuine appeal to supporters to explain their thinking. Dialogue may not promote agreement but—engaged in with a determination to be civil—it can promote understanding and respect, and a renewed will to find solutions.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just as surprised at the amount of postings from really pissed off people about the amendment. Many were from people who never or rarely post anything political on facebook. I also think they may have been a bit naive if they thought it would be rejected. They didn't read about the polls apparently.

    I'd love to know how many who voted for the amendment believe that homosexuals choose their sexuality. My hunch is that the vast majority believe that. Otherwise there are not many other ways to explain it. If a person believes homosexuals are born that way and are naturally attracted to those of the same sex why would they be so much against gay relationships in general and gay marriage imparticular?

    Overall I think all of these laws and changes are mostly (but not all) just anti-gay votes in general. I don't see why since we don't seem to have a gay mafia or gay terrorists, gay ponzi schemers or a rash of gay killers, robbers and muggers. What's the concern?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very reasonable question. I get the impression that some people who voted for the amendment really would like to express their views, but are afraid they'll get bashed.

    Anyone who wants to comment 'anonymously' if it will assuage that concern is welcome to, as long as comments comply with the civility requirement--something I'm happy to say has never been a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am curious as to why they'd vote this way. I know the explanation is that they want to "save marriage" which is nonsensical at best. I'd love to hear from someone who DOESN'T have a religious basis for voting for the amendment. All this probably needs to go to facebook. I think the last paragraph of my earlier posting and the first sentence of this posting might generate some responses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally think this issue/debate is about the long held perception of the word “marriage” and not necessarily about the rights that come with it. Before I go any further, I’d like to emphasize that I do not discriminate based on sexual orientation – I think our attraction to a particular sex is innate and not something we choose, nor does it makes us any less loved in the eyes of a higher power.

    I don’t have an issue with gays marrying, but I do understand the conundrum for many folks. The institution of marriage predates recorded history and has long been considered the union between a man and a woman. If this fight were truly about gay couples being afforded the same legal rights as married couples, then they would be fiercely fighting to institute civil union, or domestic partnership licenses with the same legal benefits as marriage in every state. If that was instituted, many of the opponents of “marriage” licenses for same sex couples probably wouldn’t blink an eye if they could it was a differently worded license that gave them the same rights.

    And truthfully, what difference would it make if your license says “marriage,” “civil union,” or ‘domestic partnership” if it allowed you to claim your partner in any state on your health insurance, file taxes together and basically have the same legal rights and protection as a couple with a marriage license? None, except that your union would not be considered a “marriage” in the traditional sense of the word.

    And therein lies the problem – same sex unions are not traditional or the norm, but the gay community wants to be considered normal and accepted as “married” in the same way a man and a woman would be. The fact that North Carolina is now the 31st state to enact a marriage protection law seems to indicate there is a majority trying to protect the word “marriage.”

    If the gay community truly wants equal legal treatment, then they would be better served by promoting a universal alternative, such as nation-wide civil union licenses with the same rights as marriage licenses, and stop trying to convince the majority that they fall into the same category as a traditional man/woman marriage. The reality of nature is that they will always be in the minority (otherwise we would be extinct) – so why not work towards an acceptable legal alternative and spend your time and energy on helping the world understand you are no different than anyone else, except who you love.

    I don’t live in NC, so didn’t vote, but I would have voted with the majority because I think the gay community is fighting the wrong battle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous,

    I think you make terrific points, with a very cogent argument. I--and Ben, I bet--would love to hear a response to this from someone who disagrees. I've thought from the beginning that the amendment's inherent flaw was not the defining of marriage, but the closing off of legal recognition to other unions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with both of you. My "official" stance has always been that I oppose gay marriage on linguistic grounds not rights. The gay community is pushing too hard for the word marriage instead of the legal equivalent. Unfortunately nuance is lost in each opposing view. The amendment as written precludes civil unions and I, too, am curious how the vote would have gone if the amendment would have included the right to form civil unions. While I say I'm curious, I have doubts that the results would have been much different. As I said, overall I believe the vote for the amendment was a blanket "anti gay" vote.

    ReplyDelete