Thursday, April 14, 2011

Thanks a lot, DOOFUS

If anyone works in management at Harris-Teeter (or knows someone who does) please mention to them that a few moments on basic manners might be in order, when training employees who obviously didn't learn them at home...

I popped in for a couple of things before I went to an overdue hair color appt., so maybe it was the grey hairs, or the fact that I'd gotten about four hours of sleep, or just that to the child running the register, anyone over a certain age qualifies as old, but he cheerily asked me how my day was going, rang up my purchases and in a booming voice said "Do you qualify for our senior discount?"

I waited a beat, noticing that he reminded me of one of those adolescent dogs that are friendly and eager to please, but who you know will jump up and paw you and slobber all over you because no one ever taught them not to. (I should mention, lest you think I'm oversensitive, that the senior discount kicks in at 60, and I turn 55 in July.)

"Gee, no," I replied, "I don't believe I do, but I really appreciate your asking!"

The irony flew high above his head, of course; he said, "No problem!" and proceeded to put my items in a bag. One of them was a 14-lb tub of cat litter, and you could almost see a little light bulb come on over his head before he solicitously inquired, "Do you need a cart to get this outside?"

I regularly tote 40-lb bags of cat litter, a fact this young man couldn't be expected to know, but it apparently didn't occur to him that I'd managed to get it up there without a cart, including standing in line holding it for a good while. I spent a couple of seconds wondering if I had the arm strength to lift it over my head and bring it down on his, with any accuracy, decided it wouldn't be worth it even if I could, smiled sweetly and said, "No thanks. I'll try to manage."

When I was a kid, I never could understand why so many old people were grouchy...

1 comment:

  1. Ell. Oh. Ell. I can relate totally. When they ask me if I need help taking it outside, I smile wickedly and say, "No, thanks. I may be old, but I'm not feeble."

    ReplyDelete