Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Some changes, perhaps

For several reasons, I've let this blog go, but would like to resume giving it some regular attention. One of the reasons was feeling a little discouraged about how many people might be reading it, especially in view of the fact that when I wrote the newspaper column, I got paid $100 a pop. No money for pretty much the same amount of effort was something I could live with, as long as someone was reading, but if I judged that by the number of 'followers' and the number of people who commented, either on the blog or directly to me, I was guessing a couple of dozen. It didn't seem justifiable in terms of the amount of time spent. So, I was delighted to discover that I could click "Stats" and see how many hits I'd had, along with where, geographically, they originated, and that there were far, far more than I'd guessed.

Another reason my output has dwindled is that I felt constrained (not by anything external) to stick with 'newsworthy' topics, but oftentimes, I didn't feel I had anything to say that wasn't already being said, so without a deadline to meet, I didn't. Then I realized, it's my blog! I can write about anything I want! So, that's where possible changes come in; some blog posts will be along the same lines as previous ones, others may reflect whatever is going through my head at the time, which will possibly be of interest to some, and certainly won't be to all.

A final reason I've neglected the blog is that I was working very hard to finish my novel. I've done that, and am in the process of gathering opinions, coming up with a great query letter, and considering what level of revision to give the book at this point. Opinions differ a bit on how much of that it needs, so I will be seeking more opinions! To complicate things, a non-fiction book proposal I wrote last year has found a publisher, but the advance offered is fairly low. That, along with some other difficulties inherent in the project, are making me hesitant to accept. I guess there are worse problems to have.

At any rate, to those of you who have continued to check back for anything new, thank you, and my goal is to post at least once a week.

1 comment:

  1. I'm one that checks in from time to time.

    I always appreciate your levelheadedness. And you're right - you can write about whatever strikes your fancy.

    Looking forward to new stuff.

    ReplyDelete